Works under the general guidance and direction of an Engineer.
* Using excellent customer service skills, establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other employees, officials, and all members of the general public.
* Must be able to operates a motor vehicle to assist in carrying out the business of the department and the City.
* Performs routine semi-skilled and technical construction inspection work for environmental, water, sewer, street, and other public works projects and programs.
* Assures compliance with federal, state and local codes and standards and contractual provisions.
* Inspects and approves all phases of public and private construction and improvement work contracted by Community Development Department and other departments, as requested, to assure that the appropriate
construction is completed in compliance with the plans, standards, specifications, special requirements, codes and regulations; issues correction notices or approvals as required.
* Inspects and approves construction and installation of streets, curb, gutter, sidewalk, storm drains, sewers, water lines, water meters, hydrants, service lines, fire lines, cross connection control devices and related utilities and structures as assigned.
* Inspects and assesses damage from oil, gas and water leaks to public and private property and facilities as required.
* Inspects construction work under excavation, clearing and grading permits.
* Inspects to assure compliance with local, State or Federal standards for any right-of-way, street use, other permits issued to private utilities or contractors.
* Coordinates activities and schedules with utility companies, contractors, property owners and other City departments.
* Resolves conflicts within scope of authority.
* Provides information and responds to inquiries from contractors, property owners, staff, and the general public regarding
assigned public works projects.
* Maintains a variety of logs and records related to employees, work assignments and inspection activities; prepares and posts pay estimates as required.
* Performs work in accordance with safety policies and procedures.
* Compiles information and prepares construction reports as required.
* While performing the duties of this job, the Incumbent usually works in outside weather conditions. The Incumbent
occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. Often works around dust, asphalt and concrete.
* Attendance at work is an essential function of this position.
* Prepares reports and performs filing duties.
* Processes pay estimates.
* Handles complaints either personally or by referring to an Engineer or Construction/ Project Manager.
* Reviews field staking and makes revisions within scope of authority.
* Serves as a member of survey crew or flagging as needed.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed.
The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
* This position is subject to Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace Program which includes:
* Pre-employment testing, post-accident testing, reasonable suspicion testing, return-to-duty testing, and follow-up testing.
* Either of the Academic and/or a combination of the following:
* A School Leaving Certificate with a minimum of five years related experience, or
* An ND Certificate with a minimum of 3 years related experience, or
* An HND or BSc Certificate in a related field.
There should be either a combination of education and experience in the construction field in pipe laying or placement of concrete or asphalt.
* Valid Nigerian driver’s license with acceptable driving record for the past three years.
* Some knowledge of civil engineering principles, practices and methods as applicable to a municipal setting; working knowledge of applicable laws, standards and regulations relating to construction, inspection, safety and traffic control; considerable knowledge of public works inspection methods.
* Considerable skill in reading and interpreting construction drawings, plans and specifications, and contract documents;
skill in applying material testing procedures;
* Ability to prepare, organize and maintain inspection field and office data, reports and systems.
* Ability to perform required mathematical computations.
* Ability to effectively communicate complex technical information, orally and in writing, in a professional manner to contractors, developers, property owners, employees, consultants, other governmental agency representatives, City officials and the general public.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
* Calculator, phone, fax and copy machine, computer (desk top and laptop) and motor vehicles.
* Ability to operate personal computer, including word processing, spreadsheet, and data base software. Experience in
operating tape measure, pipe locator, pressure gauges, testing equipment, engineering calculator, motor vehicle, phone,
and mobile or portable radio sufficient to perform job.
* Must be physically capable of moving about on construction work sites.
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and walk, use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and talk or hear.
* Work is performed mostly in field settings. Considerable outdoor work is required in the inspection of various land use developments, construction sites, or public works facilities. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate testing instruments, computers and various pieces of office equipment.
* The Incumbent must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25kg weight of equipment.
* Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
The noise level in the work environment is usually high. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee
encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
MODE OF APPLICATION
SEND YOUR CV to hr.macdanglobal @gmail.com OR Send Name, Age, Qualification Post applying For And phone Number to the Phone Number attached to this Ads.
NB SMS only during office hours and work days only, Disobeying rules and Multiple Applications is NOT ALLOWED which would lead to outright disqualification. Only Lagos residence will be contacted